Friday, August 14, 2009

A Mother's Thoughts

Raising a child with special needs brings on a firestorm of emotions. You experience resentment, fear, rage, happiness, joy, etc. You also learn to become extremely patient and to celebrate every tiny achievement. You learn to not try to keep up with the Jones's because it will never happen. You learn to take no milestone for granted. You find pure joy in a smile, a word, a step, a bite, a hug or kiss. I have been living this for eight years. Now I am finding myself in yet another new and unexpected world of supersonic development. My tiny baby went from newborn to baby in a short eight months. I want to experience everything again with her. To celebrate the milestones to not take it for granted. She just meets and exceeds these things so much faster than her big sister did. I am in awe and yet I know this is what most parents experience. I wish I could slow her down a bit. Today she pulled herself up to standing a number of times. Before I know it she will be walking! This family has been in slow motion for so long - how are we ever going to keep up. Babies are amazing little creatures - we love to watch Cami do all these things on the "typical" timeline. I am a little sad for all those people who haven't had to slow down and be happy for those little things and find out that each and every stage is a true miracle. I am so thankful for my children and wouldn't change a thing about my experience as a parent. Love you girls!

1 comment:

  1. Katie,
    You have a true gift for putting what you are thinking into words. I think you and Jay are wonderful parents. Makenna and Cami are truly amazing. They are so lucky to have you as their parents and everyone that knows your family is blessed.

    ReplyDelete