Monday, July 27, 2009

CHARGE and all that Jazz!!


Cami and Makenna enjoying social time.

Andrea and Makenna dancing.

Katie, Makenna and Camille in front to the CHARGE sign and waterfall.

Everyone enjoying the dance.

Makenna and Rachel Coleman from Signing Time!

Rachel signing and singing!

Makenna and friends at the dance.

Another spectacular conference! It was wonderful to see old friends and meet new ones. The information and networking were stellar as usual. I think this was a very important conference for Makenna. All year she has been asking who is like her - who has a g-tube, who has hearing aids, who has had a trach, who takes medicine everyday, etc. She was so excited to meet kids that were like her! She would get a huge smile when someone showed her their g-tube, trach, hearing aids or even if we saw someone getting a tube feeding. Makenna loved it! It is also great for her to see so many people signing and for people to sign to her instead of having to have mom there all the time. She found her indepence and worked the entire room during the Conference Idol performances. She went from family to family talking and dancing.

Makenna met a lady (Andrea) from Chile. She told us Makenna reminded her so much of her daughter. There was a big communication barrier but that didn't stop the bonding. Andrea didn't speak Engish or know any sign at all. It was really sweet though. Makenna must have understood some of what she was saying because she asked me if she was in her belly when she was a baby or my belly!

Rachel Coleman from Signing Time! performed at the carnivel. It was wonderful to see her in person after watching hours and hours and hours of her videos on TV. Makenna and Cami both got their picture taken with her after the performance.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad Makenna had so much fun! I like the picture of her with Shawn. He sure adored Makenna, didn't he!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved seeing her - the pics are great. I will be posting all of our pics when I am coherent enough to do so (ha ha)...I have a great one of K & Makenna if I remember correctly. Here's looking forward to 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember seeing Mekenna at the conference she was so cute, I wish I had more time to meet every single family but maybe in Orlando we will meet.
    Glad you had a great time and hope to see you in 2 years.
    Hugs,
    Crystal and Eva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie,
    I am so glad Makenna had a good time. She and Cami look like they are having a blast in every picture.
    Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pictures were great!! It looks like Makenna had a great time. I am glad she had some of her questions answered. I miss everyone. I hope you will be home when we get back. Dad doesn't think we will be inNashville at the same time.

    ReplyDelete